Television 1. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/in-video-how-a-bc-researcher-and-microbiologist-hope-to-save-bats-across-the-continent/it67658 2. Interviewed and featured by Spotlight Inc, funded by and for TELUS optic TV “Probiotics for bats against WNS; entitled the long shot saving western bats” filmed on May 5, 6 and 7, 2019 to be aired TBA. Posted on YouTube on Nov 11, 2019 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m8WJG53gF0 3. Interviewed and featured by Seeker titled “Is the Cure for Superbugs Hiding Deep Under the Earth?” November 6 and 9, 2018 by published online September 24, 2017. Seeker, a science media network based in San Francisco. We produce videos about all things science, exploration, and tech, and we are working on a short documentary series in partnership with USAF that celebrates unique research. https://www.seeker.com/videos/health/where-is-the-cure-for-drug-resistant-bacteria
- Interviewed and featured in New York Times video titled “Spelunking for search of antibiotics” April 27, 2017 by Zoe Ducklow and Emily McCarty (UBC 2017 Graduate School of Journalism graduates) in the 360-degree movie format (for virtual reality), the New York Times video, published online September 24, 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/video/science/100000005422667/spelunking-antibiotics-canada-cave.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollection=science®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=4&pgtype=sectionfront
- Interviewed and featured by Francois-Xavier De Ruydts, an independent film maker for the Francophone Canadian TV series on the natural history of Canada (TV5 and/or UNIS TV: http://www.terresdexploration.ca) (Filmed on March 14, 2017). To be aired April 2018.
- Interviewed and featured by Bloomberg TV aired online entitled “Stalking Cave Bacteria to Make Secret Weapons Against Superbugs” on May 3, 2016 at the link below: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-05-03/life-saving-anitbiotics-could-be-hidden-in-caves
- Interviewed and featured by Al Jazeera news (Filmed on February 11, 2016). Aired March 30, 2016. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/03/battling-superbugs-cave-bacteria-hold-answer-160329171029612.html
- Interviewed with students and Jennifer Harbaruk (Canadian Cancer Society) on the “TRU Ferments Event” on March 14, 2016. http://cfjctoday.com/midday
- Featured in the documentary “The Antibiotic Hunters” by the Nature of Things (filmed on April 25, June 5 and early July 2014 at the iron Curtain Cave and TRU Microbiology lab). Aired on March 5, 2015. http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes//the-antibiotic-hunters
- Mentioned as a collaborator in an interview of Dr. Cori Lausen on Global TV on “White nose syndrome threating bats across Canada” on October 27, 2014. http://globalnews.ca/news/1637252/white-nose-syndrome-threatening-bats-across-canada/?hootPostID=eb11039826eed0d0b66a60a61d3bf407
- Featured in Global 16×9 documentary episode on “Ice Cave Explorers” and aired on September 28, 2013. http://globalnews.ca/video/868738/full-story-mapping-the-underworld
- Featured by the Leading Edge Knowledge Network program of Knowledge network TV for a research activity at alkaline ponds. Aired in February 2005.
- Featured by the Body & Health program of Global TV for a research activity at caves in Wells Gray Park. Aired in March 2004.
- Interviewed by BBC Outlook: Discovery: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06p3dd9
- Interviewed by CBC: https://www.facebook.com/CBC-Kamloops-253739841396467/
- Interviewed by BBC World Service (UK, Scotland and Europe) after the UK Wired magazine article was released.
Interviewed by Radio NL on Jimmy Harrison Show on white-nose syndrome probiotic research project funded by the NFWF/BFF on Thursday Oct 26, 2017 (Live)
5. Interviewed by CBC Radio One “Summer camp exposes Aboriginal students to science: TRU's Aboriginal Science and Health Sciences Summer Camp continues to get more participants.” Aired on July 27, 2016. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kamloops/summer-camp-exposes-aboriginal-students-to-science-1.3696267 6. Interviewed with students and Jennifer Harbaruk (Canadian Cancer Society) on the “TRU Ferments” Daybreak-CBC Radio on March 15, 2016. http://www.cbc.ca/kamloops/daybreak/
- Interviewed with students and Jennifer Harbaruk (Canadian Cancer Society) on the “TRU Ferments Event” on March 17, 2016 on B-100. http://www.b100.ca/
- Interviewed by RadioNL in regards to the white nose syndrome in bats project and funding from government on February 7, 2014.
- Interviewed by CBC radio live on Monday September 23, 2013.
- Interviewed on “Tempeh production in undergraduate Intro Micro Lab” by American Society for Microbiology (ASM) MicrobeWorld Radio Podcast during the ASM’s General Meeting and ASMCUE in Orlando, Florida from May 21-25, 2006. Aired in October 2006.
- CBC morning radio show “Day Break”, Interviewed on “A coup in Thailand”, April 2006.
- CBC morning radio show “Day Break”, Live interviewed from Thailand on “Tsunami in Thailand”, January 2004.
Newspapers and Magazines
1. Interviewed by Éanna Kelly in an article entitled “Combing Canada’s caves for new drugs”, posted online on March 28, 2019 on Science Business News Network.Interviewed by Éanna Kelly in an article entitled “Combing Canada’s caves for new drugs”, posted online on March 28, 2019 on Science Business News Network. https://sciencebusiness.net/news/combing-canadas-caves-new-drugs 2. Quoted in an article by Christian Stenner, a caver, in Canadian Geographic, online on September 5, 2019 https://www.canadiangeographic.ca/article/return-raspberry-rising 3. Interviewed by the Inside TRU: https://inside.tru.ca/2018/10/31/groundbreaking-science-aims-to-save-bats/ online October 31, 2018 4. Featured in the UK Wired magazine by Tom Ward in the article entitled “Inside the slimy underground hunt for humanity's antibiotic saviour” online posted on August 28, 2018
- Interviewed and featured by Sharon Oosthoek of New Scientist in an article entitled “The yogurt cure: can ‘good’ bacteria save bats?’ published online on April 18, 2018. https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23831741-100-the-yogurt-cure-can-good-bacteria-save-bats/
- Interviewed by Emma Hiolski on white-nose syndrome mitigation research, published online at the American Chemical Society (ACS) Central Science here: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acscentsci.8b00153 and will also be re-published in the April 8 issue of Chemical & Engineering News(and online at https://cen.acs.org/index.html).
- Mentioned in an article entitled “Bat Patrol: One of nature’s least loved creatures is in crisis — and we could all end up paying the price” By Elena Gritzan published online at The United Church Observer (UCOBSERVER) (link below) and in the Reader’s Digest March 2018 pp; 90-96. http://www.ucobserver.org/environment/2017/09/bat_patrol/
- Interviewed on the article entitled “Researchers developing probiotic cocktail to combat deadly bat disease” posted on Castanet: Campus Life, Kamloops lived on October 24, 2017.
- Interviewed on the article entitled “Researchers developing probiotic cocktail to combat deadly bat disease” posted on Inside TRU on October 24, 2017.
- CBC What’s your story? Celebrating 150 years anniversary: ‘You’re not half you’re double’: Helping my mixed-race son learn who he is” was selected and published online at on September 2017. http://www.cbc.ca/2017/whatsyourstory/you-re-not-half-you-re-double-helping-my-mixed-race-son-learn-who-he-is-1.4278925
- Mentioned in an article entitled “When Art Meet Health” published in June 2017 – Interior Health: https://issuu.com/interiorhealth/docs/edition_177_-_june_2017
- Interviewed in the article entitled “A Closer Look at Human Milk” in the InsideTRU posted on May 30, 2017. https://inside.tru.ca/2017/05/30/a-closer-look-at-human-milk/
- Interviewed and featured by Kate Baggaley, science writer/reporter of the Popular Science website (com) on a story entitled “Scientists are spelunking for cave gunk to fight superbugs” on Monday May 14, 2017. Online on May 23, 2017 http://www.popsci.com/superbug-antibiotic-cave
- Interviewed and cited by Veronica Kos of TRU Omega in the article entitled “Visiting speaker will address women in STEM.” http://truomega.ca/2017/02/28/visiting-speaker-will-address-women-in-stem/
- Interviewed and featured in an article entitled “Motes from Underground: Will cave soil save us from drug-resistant superbugs?” written by Peter Andrey Smith for Harper’s Magazine and was published on December 7, 2015. Available from http://harpers.org/archive/2015/12/motes-from-underground/ and http://www.peterandreysmith.com/clip/underground.pdf
- In the news article entitled “Microbes Art Us – TRU exhibition on at Science World: A TRU professor and her students have created an art exhibit on display in Vancouver.” Daybreak Kamloops: CBC News posted on September 29, 2015. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kamloops/microbes-art-us-tru-exhibition-on-at-science-world-1.3248557
- Interviewed and featured by Ryan Stuart for the Kootenay Mountain Culture Magazine (Science Issue) for an article on “Deep and Sick” Issue Summer 2015.
- Featured in an article “Scientific Discovery for Students” in Kamloops This Week by Dale Bass on January 23, 2015. http://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/scientific-discovery-students/
- Information on The Nature of Things profile cave microbiomes and drug discovery research posted on InsideTRU and Kamloops news on Castanet on March 15, 2015. https://inside.tru.ca/2015/03/05/nature-of-things-profiles-cheepthams-research/ http://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/134393/TRU-on-Nature-of-Things
- Interviewed in an article entitled “Bat-killing disease bad news for North America’s ecosystem.” TRU’s Independent Student Newspaper “The Omega” in volume 24, issue 12, November 19, 2014; p. 9. http://truomega.ca/2014/11/17/bat-killing-disease-bad-news-for-north-americas-ecosystems/
- Interviewed in the Metro News: http://metronews.ca/news/canada/100474/cave-could-be-source-of-new-antibiotics/ Cave could be source of new antibiotics. April 11, 2012
- Interviewed and featured in an article entitled “The cave mappers: Nicholaus Vieira and his team map one of the largest caves in Canada” by Joshua Rapp Learn in the Canadian Geographic April 2014 issue page 36-37 and online at http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/magazine/apr14/expeditions.asp
- Mentioned in a local newsletter in regards to a talk at the Big Little Science Center on March 27, 2104. North Shore Echo, March 19, 2014 page 6 (Volume 13 number 12).
- Referred in an article entitled “The deep places of the world” TRU’s Independent Student Newspaper “The Omega” in the volume 3, issue 16, January 22, 2014; p. 4.
- Interviewed in an article entitled “When art meets science, beautiful things happen” in the Kamloops This Week. January 17, 2014 pA21-A22.
- Featured on CBC and Science World News “https://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercooler/news/news/Kamloops/15/09/23/Science_World_in_Vancouver_to_Feature_Art_From_TRU/#fs_82652”
- Interviewed in an article entitled “Science can be beautiful” in the TRU’s Independent Student Newspaper “The Omega” in the volume 3, issue 15, January 15, 2014; p. 4. http://truomega.ca/2014/01/13/science-can-beautiful/
- Interviewed and featured in “A trio of professors has undertaken research into antibiotics and methods to combat superbugs” in then the TRU Student Newspaper by Mark Hendricks, appearing online November 2013. http://truomega.ca/2013/11/05/trus-antibiotic-superteam/
- Interviewed and featured in the British Columbia Magazine in an article entitled “CaveRx”in Winter issue 2012 p. 12.
- Interviewed and quoted by the Canadian Press in regards to the publication entitled “Antibiotic resistance is prevalent in isolated cave microbiome” published in PLoS ONE on April 11, 2012.
- Interviewed and featured in an article entitled “Micro to Macro:How looking at the tiniest organisms helped Kevin Sherman see the world” TRU bridges (TRU Alumni & Friends Magazine) Spring 2012 Issue7 p. 34-35.
- Interviewed and quoted in the Just Ask Us (Reader’s Reporter) Editor’s column of the Daily News, Kamloops on Wednesday October 27, 2010 on diversity (pickle-weed) of alkaline ponds.
- Interviewed and featured as a Scientist of the Month by the Office of Science and Technology (OSTC) Royal Thai Embassy, Washington DC in 2011.
- Nominated and won the Microsoft 2010 “Make Canada Great” competition.
- Interviewed and quoted in Kamloops Daily News by Jeff Lawrence in the article entitled “Would you sit on this?; Smelly. Dirty. Unkept. These are the conditions of some of the city’s public washrooms.” Jeff Lawrence. Kamloops Daily News. Kamloops, B.C.: Jul 18, 2008. pg. A.
- Interviewed and featured in an article entitled “Finding cures from caves” published in a local magazine entitled “Nature West,” p. 2 – 3 in April 2003.
- Interviewed in the article entitled “Immigrating Women in Science (IWIS) Women Meet the Challenge” Autumn IWIS Newssheet – The Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST) News October 2002.
- Breastfeeding Art Expo (http://breastfeedingartexpo.ca/): a community art project. Dr. Cheeptham’s collaboration with Maureen Smith on the Project#8 Human Milk Project https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08ewQwuUivs
- The Search For New Antibiotics, narrated by Dr. Cheeptham (this commission was funded by the Society of Applied Microbiology (UK-SfAM)’s Public Engagement and President Fund). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3_ujD53aL8