Selected Publications (2010-2020)
Book (*chief edited and co-authored)
- *Cheeptham N (Editor) Cave Microbiomes: A novel resource in drug discovery. SpringerBrief Series. October 2012.
- Cheeptham, N. (2013). Advances and challenges in studying cave microbial diversity. In Cave Microbiomes: A Novel Resource for Drug Discovery, N. Cheeptham, ed. (London, UK: Springer). pp. 1-34.
- Cheeptham, N. and Saiz-Jimenez, C. (2015). [Invited] New Sources of Antibiotics: Caves. In Antibiotics: Current Innovations and Future Trends, Sergio Sánchez and Arnold L. Demain, editors. (Norwich, UK: Caister Academic Press). ISBN is 978-1-908230-55-3.
Peer-Reviewed Publications (Former supervised/co-supervised undergraduate student co-authored underlined, #former graduate students co-authored, * indicates corresponding author)
- *Cheeptham, N., *Mahara, S., Antoine M., Insuk, C., and Loy, K. (2019) Aboriginal Youth Summer Camp in Science and Health Science: A Western Canadian University Review of 10 Years of Successes and Learning. International Journal in Science Education. (Accepted for publication on March 25, 2020, In Press) Once published the DOI will be at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/21548455.2020.1748743
- Ghosh S., Kam G., Nijjer M., Stenner C. and Cheeptham N. (2020) Culture dependent analysis of bacterial diversity in Canada’s Raspberry Rising Cave revealed antimicrobial properties. International Journal of Speleology, 49 (1), 43-53. Tampa, FL (USA) ISSN 0392-6672 https://doi.org/10.5038/1827-806X.49.1.2291
- Lal, A. and Cheeptham, N. (2020) Factors Affecting Learning Gains among Students in Microbiology Class: A Preliminary Study between a U.S. Community College and a Canadian Comprehensive University. Fine Focus. (Accepted and will be published in Spring 2020 issue)
- Jessica Thandara Gosse, #Soumya Ghosh, Amanda Sproule, David Overy, Naowarat Cheeptham* and Christopher N. Boddy* (2019) Whole genome sequencing and metabolomic study of cave Streptomyces isolates ICC1 and ICC4. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10:1020; doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2019.01020; https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2019.01020/full
- Soumya Ghosh , Emma Persad, Ting-Yun Shiue , Cindy Lam, Afsana Islam, Lauren G. Mascibroda, Michael B. Sherman, Thomas Smith* and Naowarat Cheeptham* (2018) Explorative Study on Isolation and Characterization of a Microviridae G4 Bacteriophage, EMCL318, against Multi-Drug-resistant Escherichia coli 15-318. Antibiotics 2018, 7(4), 92; https://doi.org/10.3390/antibiotics7040092
- Soumya Ghosh, Robyn McArthur, Zhi Chao Guo, Rory McKerchar, Kingsley Donkor, Jianping Xu, Cori Lausen, and *Naowarat Cheeptham (2018) Evidence for Anti-Pseudogymnoascus destructans (Pd) Activity of Propolis. Antibiotics, 7(1), 2; doi:10.3390/antibiotics7010002 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29267199
- Soumya Ghosh, Elise Paine, Rob Wall, Gabrielle Kam, Tanna Lauriente, Pet-Chompoo Sa-ngarmangkang, Derrick Horne, and *Naowarat Cheeptham (2017) In situ cultured bacterial diversity from the Iron Curtain Cave, Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada. Diversity, 9(3): 36-51; doi:10.3390/d9030036 https://www.mdpi.com/1424-2818/9/3/36
- Ghosh, S., Kuisiene, N., and *Cheeptham, N. (2017) Cave microbiomes for drug discovery: reality or pipe dream? Biochemical Pharmacology 134: 18-34; http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000629521630421X?via%3Dihub
- McArthur, R., Ghosh, S., and *Cheeptham, N. (2017) Improvement of protocols for the screening of biological control agents against white-nose syndrome. The Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology Plus (JEMI+) 2:1-7 (May 2017). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/317019675_Improvement_of_protocols_for_the_screening_of_biological_control_agents_against_white-nose_syndrome
- Mason, C., Randhawa, A., Watson, K., Ross Friedman, C., and *Cheeptham, N. (2016) Using scanning electron microscopy to study microbial communities in speleothem samples collected from Iron Curtain Cave. The Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology Plus (JEMI+) 2:1-7 (February 2016). https://jemi.microbiology.ubc.ca/sites/default/files/JEMI%2B091115_Mason%20et%20al_FINAL.pdf
- Out, B., Boyle, S. and *Cheeptham, N. (2016) Identification of fungi from soil in the Nakimu caves of Glacier National Park. The Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology Plus (JEMI+), 2:26-32.
- Lam, C., McClean, A., Koeck, E., Ang, L., Naidu, P., Wagner, K., Donkor, D. and *Cheeptham, N. (2016). Investigation of Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption/Ionisation Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry (MALDI-TOF-MS) for detection of Clostridium difficile toxin A and B from stool. The Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology(JEMI-NPR), 20: 1-6 (April 2016).
- Cohord Mason, Arjun Randhawa, Kent Watson, Cynthia Ross Friedman, and *Naowarat Cheeptham (2016) Using scanning electron microscopy to study microbial communities in speleothem samples collected from Iron Curtain Cave. The Journal of Experimental Microbiology and Immunology Plus (JEMI+) 2:1-7 (February 2016).
- Cristina Riquelme Gabriel, Maria de Lurdes Nunes Enes Dapkevicius, Ana Z. Miller, Zachary Charlop-Powers, Sean Brady, Cohord Mason and *Naowarat Cheeptham (2016) “Biotechnological potential of Actinobacteria isolated from Canadian and Azorean volcanic caves“. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 1-15.
- Cristina Riquelme Gabriel, Maria de Lurdes Nunes Enes Dapkevicius, Diana E. Northup, Jennifer J.M. Hathaway; Ara Kooser; Ana Z. Miller, Valme Jurado, Octavio Fernandez, Cesareo Saiz-Jimenez and *Naowarat Cheeptham (2015) “Actinobacteria in Volcanic Caves” In a special issue on Actinobacteria in special and extreme habitats: diversity, function roles and environment adaptation” to Frontiers in Microbiology. 6(Article1342):1-16 (December 2015).
- Cheeptham, N. (2015) Come Dine With Microbes: Where Microbiology, Food, and Culture Meet Community Outreach and Student Engagement (Perspective article). Fine Focus, 1(2):159-174.
- Lal, A. and *Cheeptham, N. (2014-2015) “ASM ATLAS Protocol: Decarboxylase broth” ASM MicrobeLibrary. http://www.microbelibrary.org/library/laboratory-test/4009-decarboxylase-broth-protocol and http://www.microbelibrary.org/library/laboratory-test/4010-decarboxylase-broth.
- Bandet T., Whitehead, S., Blondel-Hill, E., Wagner, K., and *Cheeptham, N. (2014). Susceptibility of clinical Moraxella catarrhalis isolates in the British Columbia Southern Interior to six empirically prescribed antibiotic agents. The Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology. 25(3): 155-158.
- Rule, D. and *Cheeptham, N. (2013). Effects of UV light on antimicrobial activity of cave actinomycete metabolites. Journal of Speleology. 42(2): 147-153.
- Beuk, C., Hill, C., Whitehead, S., Blondel-Hill, E., Wagner, K. and *Cheeptham, N. (2012). Determination of susceptibility to fosfomycin and tigecycline of Enterobacteriaceae isolates producing extended-spectrum beta-lactamases from multiple regional Canadian hospitals. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology. 24(3): e80-e82.
- Scott M.G. Matheson, Naowarat Cheeptham and *Heidi E.K. Huttunen-Hennelly (2012). Investigating the Effects of Hydrophobicity, Charge, and Structure on the Antimicrobial Activity of the Histatin 8 Peptide for Potential Use in Oral Applications. International Journal of Biology. 5(2): 85-91.
- *Cheeptham, N. Sadoway, T., Rule, D., Moote, P., Watson, K., Soliman, L., Azad, N., Donkor, K., and Horne, D. (2012). Cures from Caves: volcanic cave actinomycetes and their potential in drug discovery. International Journal of Speleology, 42(1): 35-47.
- Michèle Shuster, Naowarat Cheeptham, and Laura Regassa (2012) A Teaching Note on Murder by HIV (Grade 5 to 8): A real murder conviction based on a phylogenetic tree. National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo. Online:
- Laura Regassa, Naowarat Cheeptham, and Michèle Shuster, (2012) A Teaching Note on Murder by HIV (Grade 9 to 12): A real murder conviction based on a phylogenetic tree. National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo. Online:http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/collection/author_list.asp?author_id=1452
- *Naowarat Cheeptham, Michèle Shuster, and Laura Regassa (2012) A Teaching Note on Murder by HIV (Undergraduate): A real murder conviction based on a phylogenetic tree. National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo.http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/collection/author_list.asp?author_id=1452
- Lal, A. and *Cheeptham, N. (2011-2012) “ASM ATLAS Protocol: Starch Agar” ASM MicrobeLibrary.
- Kay, S., Pathom-aree, W., and *Cheeptham, N. (2012) Screening of volcanic cave actinomycetes for antimicrobial activity against Paenibacillus larvae, a homey bee pathogen. Chiang Mai Journal of Science, 39(4):1-8.
- Sherman, K.E., Whitehead, S., Blondel-Hill, E., Wagner, K. and *Cheeptham, N. (2012) Penicillin Susceptibility and Macrolide-Lincosamide-Streptogramin B Resistance in Group B Streptococcus Isolates from a Canadian Hospital. The Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases & Medical Microbiology. 23(4):196-198.
- *Lal, A. and Cheeptham, N. (2010-2011) “ASM ATLAS Protocol: PEA” ASM MicrobeLibrary. Published online at http://www.microbelibrary.org/library/laboratory-test/3537-phenylethanol-agar and http://www.microbelibrary.org/library/laboratory-test/3653-phenylethyl-alcohol-agar-protocol on November 13, 2011.
- Cheeptham, N. (2011) A Review of Scientific Teaching, by Handeslman, Miller and Pfund [Review]. Journal of Microbiology and biology Education. ASM Press. On-line peer-reviewed open access journal. Vol 11(2). [http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=openurl&genre=journal&issn=19357877&volume=12&issue=1&date=2011&uiLanguage=en]
- Shannon, A., *Stephens, G., Wagner, K., and *Cheeptham, N. (2010). Absence of Carbapenemase-mediated resistance in Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae from a regional British Columbia Hospital [Letter to Editor]. Canadian Journal of Infectious Diseases and Medical Microbiology. Summer 2011, Volume 22 Issue 2: 61-63.